CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 19, 2008

1st Taxol

Here I am in all of my glory. At the end of this posting is more about what chemo I am now on. I got those help sheets as I left yesterday. I was nice to come home and give to Chris so he understands all of the side effects etc.



I made it through the first infusion of Taxol. Kicking and screaming, but putting on my I can do it face. I even got a phone call right before I left the house, and it was from my friend Emily. I explained I was leaving. Sorry, I could had used my cell phone on the way, but I needed a bit of self talk time. I arrived ready for a long day - and it was. At 12:30 we started. Karen, my nurse, started the IV. They put the "hot pad" on your hand. I don't like being poked, but it just stings for a minute. Not sure, it could had been her first Taxol - I'll explain why later. So, we get going, the first was to do the anti nausea, the pepcid, the Benadryl. That stung in the entry to the vein. But soon, I was relaxing and felt like a nice glass of wine. But I'll tell you I did not like it. Karen flipped the feet thing for the recliner and then I got the 1 1/2 hours of Herceptin Drip. This is the big "loading" dose. Since I'll be getting it every week, it'll be 1/2 hour of that plus maybe other things - should only be an hour. Then onto the Taxol. The first time can have severe reactions. So, since I was the only person in the place, I was really watched. I must had scratched the side of my face, there was a red mark, Chris, my nurse, stopped the Taxol and got the Dr. We determined it was not a reaction. So, each time I scratched my face I announced what I was doing. The time on the Taxol - over 3 hours. That is right. It was about 6:30p.m. before we got out of there. The benadryl wore off, I still felt it a bit, but I was OK to drive. I was happy to get home. I fixed dinner, sat with Lilli for a while, then I had to go to bed. I took my meds for the evening turned off the light and that was it. Until 10....then 12....then at 2 I just could not go back to sleep. I watched TV until 4p.m. not sure, hope this is a one time thing.




Usually the day after Chemo, I am OK. Same is true this morning. I feel OK. I just took my Emund (you know the really expensive anti nausea), I think that makes me a little foggy. But worth if if I don't barf. I hope to get out today and keep Lilli busy.




The only difference that I notice, is that my stomach hurt during the night. Crampy type of stuff. I ate some puff cakes - maybe that would help. I am also really trying to push the fluids. I am able to stomach hot tea this morning, but make a note to myself to stop and get some soymilk to put in the tea. I think staying away from milk is a good thing.




For someone that did not want to get this Taxol, 1 down and 3 left to go. This is going to take longer - since I am doing it every three weeks. It'll take 3 months. Hopefully the side effects will not be bad - in this case I hope that age will work in my favor. I already know what those nulasta (I don't know how to spell that one) shots (white blood counts upper) do to me, and I don't have to get those this time. They are monitoring the blood each week and we can take that course of action if needed. So, at least I don't have the double whammy of the nausea and the bone pain.




On a lighter note, can I say how great it is to get this done here, and not in a place that is gloomy this time of the year. I am able this morning to wake up to a very cold (for us) day, with crystal clear blue skies looking out to all of my birds eating breakfast. I have my special "hope" heart that my friend gave to me hanging out there too - just in case I need that reminder.





You are receiving:Herceptin
This drug is also called:
Use: 1. Given with chemotherapy to treat metastatic
breast cancer.
2. Can also be given by itself to patients with early
stage breast cancer. How it is given: It is given as an injection into a vein.
First infusion is 90 minutes. Infusions after that only
last about 30 minutes. Dose schedule: Can be given weekly or every
three weeks.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS: Early
• Chills and fever during the 1st infusion usually stop when infusion is stopped.
• Nausea and vomiting: your doctor may prescribe medication to prevent or relieve symptoms.
• Pain in muscles or joints: report symptoms to your doctor.
Late (7-14) days
• In combination with chemotherapy you may experience low blood counts. Blood tests will be done to monitor cell counts during your treatment.



You are receiving: PdClltdXGI
This drug is also called: TdXOl®
Use: Paclitaxel is used to treat a variety of cancers. It
works by stopping tumor cell growth.. How it is given: It is given as an injection into a vein. Dose schedule:
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS: Early
• Allergic reactions: Report any weakness, dizziness, difficulty in breathing, facial swelling, skin rash or discoloration, or irregular heart rate. Your doctor will prescribe medication to prevent or relieve symptoms.
• Nausea and vomiting: Your doctor may prescribe medication to prevent or relieve symptoms.
• Pain in muscles or joints: Report symptoms to your doctor.
• Diarrhea: Call your doctor if recommended measures are not effective after 3 days.
Late (7-14) days
• White blood cell, platelet, and red blood cell counts may go down. Blood tests will be done to monitor cell counts during your treatment.
• Partial or complete hair loss may occur. Hair will grow back when treatment is completed.
• Sores in the mouth or throat may develop. Use mouthwash (without alcohol) as directed before chemotherapy treatment is begun and continue until treatment is completed. Brush teeth with a soft bristle toothbrush. Wear dentures only for eating until your mouth has healed. Call your doctor if sores develop.
• Nerve involvement: Report any numbness or tingling in your hands or feet. Symptoms will lessen or disappear with dose adjustment.
• Liver function may be affected. Your doctor will monitor this.
• Sexual desire may decrease for duration of treatment.
Paclitaxel may harm the unborn fetus. Neither pregnancy nor fathering a child is recommended during treatment. Consult your doctor for an effective birth control method.

0 comments: